GENERAL MANAGER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: General Manager
Reporting to: Club President with strong functional relationships with the Vice Presidents, Treasurer, Board Members, Football Manager and Coaches.
Job Summary: Responsibility for the effective and highly professional administration and oversight of the Club’s operations. Lead a team of staff and volunteers to build the organisational capability of the Club, manage the finances, contribute to stakeholder engagement across the community and manage the maintenance and development of the facilities to achieve seamless delivery of the football program.
- Act as the Club Secretary, attending to all correspondence, preparation of notices and agendas for Board, AGM, and other Club meetings, taking minutes of those meetings and facilitating distribution within seven days of such meetings.
- General oversight of the Club website, database, social media including responsibility for the sourcing and delivery of content.
- Maintain club records including milestone games, honour boards and website, ensuring appropriate acknowledgment as required.
- Operational management of the Club’s player, public liability and any other insurance arrangements.
- Provide administrative support to the Board and ensure all statutory Club requirements are adhered to and delivered in a timely fashion with attention to detail.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the club’s financial position and the ability to respond as required.
- Regular consultation with the Club’s Treasurer and Finance Manager to establish and monitor the Club’s budget, cash flow and expenditure and ensure the Board receives the monthly financial reporting.
- Management of the budget in conjunction with the Club Treasurer and the Finance Manager.
- Ensure that appropriate financial processes and procedures are implemented in relation to ordering and expenditure.
- Seek and manage grants.
- Implement the Club Strategic Plan
- Operational management of all commercially relevant aspects of the Club – corporate partnerships, player sponsorships, Foundation, membership, player subscriptions, fundraising activities and bar and canteen operations.
- Oversee all club functions including Season Launch, Match Day Lunches, Annual Presentation Night and other official club functions as required.
- Responsible for all apparel, equipment and stock including ordering, storage, sales, distribution and payment.
Database and Communications
- Communicate with key stakeholders in an effective and efficient manner to achieve successful outcomes.
- Ensure timely delivery of the Club’s newsletters (Drumsheet and Around the Grounds) as required.
- Ensure that the Club’s website is regularly updated with appropriate content.
- Oversee the Club’s social media platforms including lnstagram, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Source, implement and utilise an effective Club database which is maintained with current information.
- First point of contact for all VAFA communication.
- Ensure compliance with all VAFA rules and requirements.
- Develop and maintain sound and effective relationship with VAFA CEO and key staff.
- Attend VAFA meetings and functions on behalf of the Club as required.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with opposition clubs and their representatives.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with Scotch College sporting/ground staff in relation to use of the grounds as required (eg. pre-season training and in season ground matches from time to time).
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all key Scotch College staff, parents, potential players and other relevant personnel.
- Ensure a positive high profile for the Club within the Scotch College and Old Scotch Collegians’ Association communities.
- Active involvement/assistance in the Scotch College Alumni/Community Relations programs.
- Provide content for Great Scot magazine and OSCAnet website as required.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with MLC, the Camberwell Sharks Junior Football Club and any other feeder organisations to the Club.
City of Boroondara
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key councilors and officers within the City of Boroondara.
- First point of contact for all council communications.
- Attendance at all discussion, planning and workshop meetings relevant to the Club.
- Administration of council seasonal tenancies and effective outcomes for all council reporting and administrative requirements.
- Renew/obtain all necessary liquor and food handling licences together with ensuring responsible serving of alcohol and working with children certificates are in place where applicable.
- Working closely with the President and Board, lead the drive for infrastructure developments at the Camberwell Sports Ground.
- Ensure the timely availability of Camberwell Sports Ground and that its ground facilities for training and match days for all teams (including practice matches) are of VAFA Premier Section standard.
- Administration of Membership, Corporate Partnership and Player Sponsorship programs in consultation with the relevant portfolio holders on the Board.
- Oversee the production and distribution of weekly content (website updates, social media updates, Drumsheet) to members and corporate partners throughout the year.
- Carry out all duties in line with the Club’s strategic and annual business plans.
- Assume responsibility for all Club announcements and publications as required.
- Carry out all necessary administrative functions not specified in this Position Description.
- Develop and maintain a positive high profile and presence within the club.
- Oversee management processes and systems to ensure the most effective operation of all administrative aspects of the Club.
- Periodic General Manager reports completed as required.
- Board meeting agenda to be distributed to the Board members at least five business days prior to each meeting.
Key Personal Attributes:
Planning, Organisational and Administrative skills
- Ability to play an active leadership role in the development, implementation and review of the Club’s strategic and annual business plans.
- Highly organised with the ability to oversee multiple projects and programs concurrently.
- Ability to effectively prioritise tasks
Communication and Relationship skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and written with a range of key stakeholders in and outside the Club.
- Competent user and driver of social media platforms such as Website, lnstagram, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Ability to build positive relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
Human Resource Management skills
- Ability to oversee the Football Manager, Finance Manager, Facilities Manager, Canteen Manager and other contracted staff.
- Ability to attract and engage with off field game day volunteers – bar, canteen, functions, etc.
Other skills and experience
- Established background in the operation of an effective sporting club.
- Excellent attention to detail and presentation skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- High degree of business acumen in budgeting, profit and loss management, negotiation, networking, business planning and general governance
- Ability to work discretely with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to maintain flexible working hours which are often outside normal business hours and can vary significantly including weekends during the football season.
- OSFC Board
- OSFC Sponsors and Community Partners
- Local Council
- Coaches, football and medical staff
- Players and volunteers